2011年3月10日木曜日

Nocturnes


The vernal equinox is getting nearer and the day has lengthened cock-stride day by day.



隣家との境に草の花あおく きのうより少し長い夕暮れ

Some growth of weed
has its tiny sky blue flowers,
They are still clear
as dusk is a little longer today
than it was yesterday
(haricot)






Recently I reread a story in "Nocturnes",published 2009, which I read just in this season of last year. It is written by Kazuo Ishiguro(1954 ~), consisting of five short stories, regarding music, love, and the passing time, as though they are packed in a music album.



The story which I reread is the second, "Come Rain or Come Shine".
This one is like a light music, a little up-tempo, compared to the tune of other four stories.


Charlie, Emily, and the narrator Raymond are life-long friends since they were university students in London, mainly had shared their time on talking about music.
Charlie and Emily got married and stay in London. Besides Raymond is a sort of nowhere man who is teaching English in Spain as of now.


One day Raymond was invited by Charlie and was asked something about a favour for him, for passing time with Emily while Charlie's absence for a couple of days on his business. Raymond, hesitating to do the offer, admits the reason that he is the oldest friend for them.

Some fiddle things gradually tell that something wrong with Charlie and Emily, then Raymond starts to have knot on his stomach. He struggles to solve something invisible, though his clumsiness seems to make things worsen and tighten the knot. And then...




I will watch the dance of tea leaves for a couple of minutes, remembering the last scene of this story.

Dusky light is getting to ebb.






P.S.
Emily and Raymond had been preoccupied by their own matters ,then suddenly she noticed that theirs were somehow overlapped.

She invited him to dance with her on the balcony of nightfall and they did dance as though it would win back their mutual subtle misunderstanding, and even would make up for the lost time.


"Come Rain or Come Shine" You Tube

8 件のコメント:

cosmos さんのコメント...

Wow, you kept me in suspense. To be continued...
It seems dusk and music are theme. Dancing tea leaves are making interesting patterns and colors with tiny bubbles or reflection? The last picture is also mysterious.
The music sounds nice, leaving the feeling of mature twilight romance.

haricot さんのコメント...

Thanks to your comment I shortly added some as P.S. for connecting my context with the dance of tea leaves.
Thank you for the kind comment.

stardust さんのコメント...

First of all, I love your tanka. Even sky blue flowers which mingle with the color of the dusk is becoming visible clear longer. Very subtle!

Photos are effective as illustrations of your writing. I like them all. These months I've been in a rash to do things, so I'll relax, catch my breath, and watch tea leaves dancing and jumping.

sarah さんのコメント...

I feel soft mellow mood in your blog and music. I rememberd "The Bridges of Madison Country" a little.
The time of sunrise became about 6:15a.m. I want to get up with sun together but I can't do it. Though the floweres in our garden start to bloom,feeling longer hours of sunlight.

Tomoko さんのコメント...

Hello,haricot.
This is a beautiful scenic tanka made in the
spring time.
The book cover is beautiful, which is no doubt fit to the title of nocturnes calmly playing a rich tone. I like the last photo!

ruma さんのコメント...

Yes. Green is good for the border.
It is peaceful.

The boundary line is a vain...
I almost sometimes leave it.

Thank you for your visit.
Good weekend
Saga Japan, ruma

snowwhite さんのコメント...

I love the title "Nocturnes" and reminds me of Chopin's nocturnes.
Dacing tea leaves are well implying something going on. And I love this photo.
I'm puzzled, what the last photo is??

Your Tanka seems to me to be closer to the daily life than usual. Tiny flowers are lovely!

haricot さんのコメント...

Stardust, Sarah, Redrose, Ruma and Snowwhite,thank you all of you for the kind and interesting comments, despite of my insufficient introduction of the story.

And, I wrestle in prayer of those who are suffering from the huge damage caused by the earthquake and tunami.